About Me

Name: Murray Buchan
D.O.B: 2nd December 1991
Hometown: Edinburgh
Home Mountain: Hillend Ski Centre
Favorite resort: Breckenridge, Colorado
Discipline: Ski Halfpipe
Nicknames: Muesli or Muzza, really?
Sponsors: Head, Animal, Lazer, Bawbags, Freeze Pro Shop, Hasta Inc.
Favorite Trick: Left 900 safety grab
Hobbies: Skateboarding and Rugby. Don’t really go hand in hand.
Favorite website: www.Shockmansion.com
Likes: Music, most sports, instagram and comfy shoes.
Dislikes: Lift lines, untidiness and being too cold.


I am Murray Buchan, a 23 year old halfpipe skier from Edinburgh in Scotland.  Although I don’t really have a permanent base at the moment due to the tough competition schedule and training regime - I usually stay in Breckenridge during the winter season and Edinburgh in the off-season. I was part of Team GB that competed in Sochi for the Winter Olympic Games where I placed 17th. I plan on spending the next 4 years to better my result there and push for a podium spot next time around.  I have a few British titles to date and plan on getting a few more before I am done!


I first started at the age of 8 at my local dryslope in Edinburgh. It was my parents who encouraged me - my dad has always been a skier and from a young age worked in the mountain rescue team at Glenshee ski centre, so naturally I wanted to do what my father did.

As soon as I started I had a change of heart, I hated it! I just wanted to go and play rugby or football in the park, but as I became a more capable skier I found a love for it and it became my passion. I finished school on a friday afternoon and would spend my whole weekend up on the slope - I 'd come home for dinner but apart from that I lived up there.

I started to progress and get a little recognition from the local skiers and snowboarders for being such a young able skier. It helped my confidence a lot, and without the older guys on the slopes pushing me I doubt I would have kept going. Eventually I picked up my first sponsor, Team 360, who gave me my first pair of skis and took me on a few trips to competitions. Some of the local, older skiers were involved with a ski shop in Edinburgh called Freeze Pro Shop, although back then it was just called Freeze. They approached me and offered to help me out where ever they could. I ended up traveling around with them to a few events and generally being a pain - I am surprised I didn't get beaten up a lot! They still continue to support me to this day, it is the best ski shop I know of and they have never let me down.

Not long after that, I ended up writing to Line Skis. I think it was the hand written letter by the 12 year old boy that made the difference. They had the likes of the now famous Paddy Graham and Andy Bennett skiing for them at that point. So I felt incredibly lucky and privileged to be part of that. It was onwards and upwards from there.

All throughout this time my dad was driving me everywhere to go skiing, all around the country to compete. I think he saw my love for it and my commitment to it. I wouldn't be where I am without him. He encouraged me and pushed me because he knew I wanted to do well in the sport and be the best. If I could pay him back every penny he spent on me I would!

From then on the results started coming in. I was winning the junior category in a lot of the events I was doing. I began to think I could make a career out of it. I was still young though, so I wasn't sure - I just wanted to ski. I ended up being the first person to land a 1080 on dryslope (I think anyway?) and there was a bit off buzz which got me some coverage in a few magazines etc.

I was lucky enough at the age of 14 to do my first British Championships in France. I won all 4 events in the under 16 category: Slopestyle, Ski Cross, Big Air and Halfpipe. In fact, for the next couple of years I went back every year and did the same, and luckily enough I managed to do well in the adults category after that - I placed 3rd in slopestyle and 3rd in Big Air. I then moved on from Line to Volkl Skis and picked up a few more sponsors that supported me financially. This was a big relief as it isn't cheap to travel, train and compete. This gave me the chance to do a few more European events, and at 16 I won the Austrian Open Juniors Category which was 17 and Under.

In 2008 I managed to win my first British Championships in Halfpipe. That is when I first fell in love with it and I started competing in World Cup Events mainly in Europe as I was still at school and the USA was far away and much more expensive.

In 2009 I dislocated my elbow so had to spend a season out. It was a really difficult time for me as I had never had a big injury like that before. It set me back a long time as I didn't manage to win another British Championships until 2013.

After I came back from my injury my focus was World Cups and World Championships. I got a 20th place at the World Champs in 2010 and a top 30 at a World Cup in Copper Mountain. The season after that was the year they decided to include Halfpipe in the Olympics. Ever since the inclusion that has been my focus and I have been on track ever since, hitting the selection criteria for the GB Team for Sochi 2014.

Even with the selection criteria met, I knew that my work was not done. I had to keep performing at the highest level to ensure my spot on that plane. With another really good result at World Cup events such as a 13th at Calgary I was on the right track. With one event left I was in a great position as the highest ranked British Halfpipe skier. Unfortunately the event didn’t quite go my way. I was struggling in practice with the weather and fell on both my runs. It was not an easy competition and it knocked my confidence a bit.

It was a waiting game from then on. But thankfully my letter came and I got the phone call. I was going. Straight away I phoned my Dad and told him the good news. I had a week from then before I was on the plane. I had worked as hard as I possibly could up until that point and it was such a relief knowing it had paid off. The hard work wasn’t finished though.

The weather was up and down but on the day of the contest the weather was the worst it had been. Snowflakes the size of dinner plates. Practice went well as a lot of others were struggling. I was more nervous than I had ever been before. It was the biggest stage I had ever competed on and it will be the biggest. Thankfully I managed to land my first run and the pressure was off. Second run was even better. Finished up 17th and was absolutely over the moon. Ever since that moment I knew I wanted to do it again. And that is my focus!